Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Guantanamo Bay Prison scandals

Reports describing questionable treatment of prisoners and the debate about whether to shut down Gitmo have been all over the news the past few days. Sadly enough, a story in the Washington Post today claims that, "Americans do not appear too concerned about allegations of abuse, according to the latest poll by the nonpartisan Pew Research Center. The poll found half of those surveyed had heard about reports of prisoner abuse, but only one in three considered the allegations more than isolated instances."
We, as Americans, are obligated to open our eyes and review the image that we are projecting on the world. Being the wealthiest, most powerful nation in the world comes with responsibility. If we are to be the model and inspiration for freedom and democracy for the world over, perhaps we should value the cruciality of a positive image in the field of international politics. I question how much more needs to be "leaked" before we, as a nation, address such matters with responsibility and maturity.

For a great read, pick up "Why do people hate America?" by Ziauddin Sardar, Merryl Wyn Davies. The book gives a clear and insightful view into the history of America's foreign policy and how it is interpreted by other nations.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jessie: I remembered to find your blog! Looks like it's going to be some good stuff. My blog is on Livejournal, but it is locked to people who aren't on my "buddy list." hazards of being a journo, I can't just air my opinion cause I might get into trouble with the company.

Anyway, you can email me to get the password because I set up a name for my friends so if they log onto that, they can read my blog. Use my email at the end of my articles on Star Tribune West.