Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Recommendations

I thought I would take the time to post a list of good books I've read and movies I've seen recently.

Books:

Water For Elephants by Sara Gruen. I finished this book a few weeks ago and I still miss it.

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. I have not gotten this emotional over a book in quite a while. In fact, I don't recall ever actually tearing up over a book before. Don't be put off by the logistics (or lack of) regarding time travel in the beginning of the book. Just go with it. It'll all make sense eventually. Apparently it's been made into a movie that will be released later this summer. Quick! Read the book before the movie comes out.

Movies:

In the Valley of Elah. The message overall is objective but becomes intimately subjective upon the viewer's interpretation. Not for the faint of heart. The ultimate test of a great picture is one which stays with you long after it's over, intrudes upon your mind and emotions and truly dictates your mood for the rest of your day. This one clearly passes the test.

Lars and the Real Girl. Great plot, greater characters. Absurdly loveable.

Milk, The Reader, Slumdog Millionaire. I fit this all into the same category, for obvious reason. The story lines are not original (in the sense all were inspired by previous events or books) but the way the stories and characters come together on the screen is clearly moving. Slumdog Millionaire is a much-welcomed deviation from the rest of the films in this year's Best Picture Category (and previous years', for that matter). Fresh and ultimately uplifiting.

The Duchess. It's a decent film, but I'll admit that I'm highly partial to Victorian-era themes, settings, and characters. This pulls the three together quite nicely.

Burn After Reading. The Coen Brothers are very 'take-it-or-leave-it' for me, but I found this to be their most enjoyable film since Fargo. The characters, especially Geroge Clooney's, are brilliantly comical amidst the abdsurd situations they find themselves in. SO funny.

1 comment:

Thomas said...

I'm looking forward to the film adaptation of The Time Traveler's Wife. It comes out this summer.