Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Score one for Alanis

So, my Alanis theme continues, in honor of today's release of her new album, Flavors of Entanglement. I'm stoked. I heart Alanis. She brings me back to the good ol' days of sitting on the school bus and listening as as her Jagged Little Pill hits came on the radio. By the way, apparently I was a kid blessed with a hip 'n kewl bus driver, since we were actually allowed to rock out to such tunes on the bus. But I digress. Seems most folks let Alanis fall off their radar once her angry-biiiaatch persona got toned down a notch or two. Jagged Little Pill was one of those albums so full of life and vitality, driven by the hardcore raw emotions of a man who did her all sorts of wrong. The upside of all that shitiness, however, was a fantastic album. So naturally, my hopes are high for Flavors of Entaglement. You may recall (thanks, Perez Hilton, for keeping me in the know) that Alanis's once-fiance, Ryan Reynolds, is now fiance'ed to Scarlet Johansen. And I'm gonna just take a shot in the dark here, but I bet Alanis is just a little bitter. Like, just a tad. And, lucky for you and I, apparently Flavors of Entaglement is chalk full of that all that bitter glory. Well, maybe not bitter, per se, according to Rolling Stone's review, "It doesn't rage, like "You Oughta Know" - it sounds more like grief." But still. No matter what the emotion, it's gotta be good. Alanis is a woman who knows how to channel that shit into somethin' really good.
Scarlett Ho-hansen (yes, that was intentional) may have the man, but at least Alanis has the music career. (Clearly not so for Scarlett, in case you've read that she is attempting a music career).

Score one for Alanis. Score none for Ho-hansen.

p.s. Whats so great about this Ryan Reynolds guy anyways???

No comments: